I know pumpkin season is pretty much over, and that makes me sad, but the good side is that stores are putting their left over stock on great sales. While at Target last week I found 20oz cans on sale for $1.41, and I had to buy a few. Not only does my family love pumpkin, but so does my dog. Now I’m left with too many ideas on what to do with all this pumpkin. Of course pie, bread, and cake make the cut, but I can’t leave my Max out of the deliciousness. With Valentine’s day coming up tomorrow I thought it would be a great time to make some heart shaped treats and try out a new recipe.
Saturday, February 4th, is “ice cream for breakfast day” and not even your dog can resist that. I mean really, who doesn’t want to start their day off with ice cream? So in honor of the holiday, and since lots of you are in the middle of snow season right now, I have created a snow ice cream recipe for dogs.
If you’ve never made snow ice cream it is super easy. The main ingredient of course is snow, so you’ll have to step outside and grab a cup of it, but I promise that’s the hardest part.
Onto the recipe
1 Cup Snow
½ Cup Vanilla Yogurt (If you’re worried about the sugar you can opt for plain yogurt)
¼ Cup Pumpkin or Peanut Butter (pumpkin puree , not pie filling, just pure pumpkin)
- Combine your yogurt and pumpkin or peanut butter in a small mixing bowl
- Go outside and get your snow. You don’t want to do this step first because snow will melt quickly inside
- Add the snow to your yogurt mix. Stir until combined
What I learned
- If your ice cream gets a little slushy while you mix, just put it in the freezer for about half an hour
- If you need to make your own snow and it doesn’t come out smooth, freeze it. When it is solid scoop it into a blender and blend until smooth
- Make some extra. Scoop a bowl for yourself and add in some pumpkin pie spice. It’s delicious. (don’t add the spices to your dog’s dish).
If your dog loved this recipe let me know in the comments.