Whether you’re a cat person, a dog person, or both, the posts in the menu above are meant to help you take the best possible care of your best friend. Get ideas on how to pamper your pet with everything from homemade food, to fur conditioner, to things you didn’t even know your pet needs. Stay and look around for a while, your cats and dogs will thank you.
About the animals in this section
Canis lupus familiaris – Otherwise known as the dog you love best. Is it any wonder that the word familiar is in the scientific name of the house dog? They are, after all, one of the most familiar pets to human kind, and have been aptly nicknamed as “man’s best friend”. Dogs serve as our therapy, our comforters, our exercise partners, our sleeping buddies, our kitchen vacuums, and the first face we see at the front door. I mean, what else could you want in a best friend?
Fun Dog Facts:
- There is some debate about the exact time, but dogs were domesticated around 30,000 years ago.
- The FCI (World Canine Association) recognizes 340 breeds of dogs
- The most common dog breed as a pet is the Labrador Retrevier
- The most expensive dog in the world is a Tibetan mastiff, selling at around 2 million dollars. http://dogs.petbreeds.com/stories/3271/priciest-dogs-puppies-buy
Felis Catus – Is this scientific name for the common house cat. While cats may not be as affectionate as dogs, at least they don’t pine after you the moment you leave and stare faithfully out the window until you return; cats are still one of mankind’s most faithful pets. With their spellbinding eyes and comforting purr, and the way they play with string, it’s no wonder that people all over the world find solace in a cat. Cats are so full of personality, attitude, and love they really do make a house feel like a home.
Fun Cat Facts:
- Cats were domesticated between 5,000 and 9,000 years ago
- The International Cat Association recognizes 53 breeds of Cats
- As of 2014 there were 2 million cat videos on YouTube – people love their cats
- A Bengal is the most expensive breed of cat, selling at up to $25,000 dollars.